Troubleshooting Tactics for the Most Common A/C Issues
When temperatures and humidity levels soar in the Sarasota area and your air conditioner decides to act up, you want a solution fast. Many cooling problems may be quickly resolved without a visit from your HVAC technician. Try the following A/C troubleshooting tactics for common issues if you are experiencing problems with your system.
Your A/C Won’t Start
- Check the thermostat – Verify the mode, and ensure the temperature is set correctly to cool the room.
- Check the power – Take a look at the circuit panel to see if a breaker has tripped. If so, reset it and try again.
The A/C Isn’t Cooling
- Possibly the Evaporator Coil – The indoor evaporator coil removes heat from your home. It can accumulate ice for several reasons including dirt and mold buildup, an electrical problem, incorrect refrigerant levels or a clogged filter. Run the air conditioner in “fan” mode to melt the ice. Check the air filter for dirt. Switch the A/C to “cool” mode. If the ice returns, call your HVAC technician.
- Consider Heat Gain – Your air conditioner will have to work harder if your home gets very hot. Using window treatments, particularly blinds and curtain, and reducing cooking activity or oven use for example, can help to reduce the amount of heat in your home. Cracks or separation, especially in windows are a common source of heat gain in homes. Check your windows and around your doors for leaks. Not only do these leaks allow hot air in, they also result in loss of cool air, making it more difficult for the air conditioner to cool your home. Other types of leaks might need a more professional touch such as duct sealing, or addition of insulation.
Are There Airflow Problems?
- Inspect the air filter – A clogged air filter quickly leads to airflow problems and can damage A/C components. Check the filter monthly, particularly during peak usage and replace it as soon as dirt begins to accumulate.
- Check the outside unit – Ensure that there is nothing blocking airflow to the outside component. Leaves, grass clippings, dirt and other common obstructions can hinder free airflow.
When simple troubleshooting tactics can’t fix the problem, it’s time to call your HVAC pro. Contact All American Heating & Cooling at (941) 451-5228 for reliable and expert service. We also provide modern systems to cool your home efficiently.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
You May Also Like
Finding the right HVAC filters can be difficult with so many options available. You may not know the material or size that… Continue Reading Understanding the 4 Different Types of HVAC Filters in Parrish, FL…
When it comes time to purchase an HVAC system, you may wonder if a packaged model is the right choice. A packaged… Continue Reading Benefits of Buying a Packaged HVAC System in Myakka, FL…
Installing a heat pump in your home in Palmetto, FL, is one of the best decisions you can make as a homeowner.… Continue Reading Benefits of Installing a Heat Pump in Your Home…