Add HVAC Maintenance To Your Spring Cleaning List
Sarasota’s uncharacteristic winter cold spells will soon be a distant memory with temperatures rising as spring draws near. In Florida, spring is air conditioning season, so be prepared with HVAC system maintenance. Your checklist should include some do-it-yourself tasks, as well as tasks for your HVAC service technician to perform.
- Change the filter. It’s easy to do, and no other maintenance task will do as much to preserve the life of your HVAC system. A good quality air filter will protect the system’s workings from dirt particles and improve indoor air quality. Follow instructions in your owner’s manual or on the filter packaging. Be sure the air filter fits properly and is inserted the right way.
- Check the outdoor condenser/compressor, removing debris, weeds and any other obstructions within two feet around the unit. Look inside the metal grille, and if you see leaves inside, remove the grille and clear leaves.
- Check the condenser fins to see if any are bent. You can straighten them with a fin comb.
- Check ductwork insulation and replace if needed.
Tasks for Your Service Technician
A heating and cooling professional will perform the following tasks during HVAC system maintenance:
- Check the refrigerant charge, adding refrigerant if needed, and check for leaks.
- Clean condenser and evaporator coils.
- Inspect the blower, and clean and adjust components.
- Check programmable thermostat settings and controls.
- Check belts for fraying.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Inspect electrical connections, measuring electrical current and voltage.
The ductwork should also be inspected for holes, gaps, cracks or obstructions. Call an expert to do repairs or for duct cleaning.
Call your HVAC technician early in the spring to make sure you get your maintenance appointment in a timely manner. Waiting until later in the summer when HVAC service companies are busy with HVAC repairs and replacing equipment that has failed will be frustrating and could cost you if you have a repair that shouldn’t wait.
Learn more about All American Heating and Cooling’s HVAC system maintenance, or contact us at (941) 451-5228 to schedule an appointment!
You May Also Like
You installed your heat pump because it offers a highly efficient and reliable way to heat your Sarasota, FL, home. While it’s… Continue Reading Can I Use My Heat Pump More Efficiently in Sarasota, FL?…
A circuit breaker trips whenever an appliance in your Sarasota, FL, home draws excessive electricity. One of the appliances that may trip… Continue Reading Why Is My Heat Pump in Sarasota, FL, Tripping the Breaker?…
As much as we love our pets, they sometimes bring quite a bit of filth with them into the home. With furry… Continue Reading How Pet Owners Can Maintain Healthy Indoor Air in Sarasota, FL…